Place:


Sanderay  Inverness Shire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Sanderay like this:

Sanderay, an island in the Hebridean parish of Barra, Inverness-shire. It lies 3½ miles S of the island of Barra, 2½ miles NE of Pabbay, and ¾ mile SSE of Vatersay, being separated from the last by a strait called the Sound of Sanderay. Though indented in outline, it is not far from being circular, with a diameter of 1½ mile; and it consists of a single hill of gneiss, which attains an elevation of 800 feet. ...


To a certain extent it is sheltered from the western swell by the islets Fladda and Linga, but it is so covered with drifted calcareous sand as to present the appearance, at some distance, of being sheeted with snow. A very large Danish dun is on its E coast. Pop. (1871) 7, (1881) 10.

Sanderay through time

Sanderay is now part of Eilean Siar district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eilean Siar has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sanderay itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sanderay, in Eilean Siar and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22309

Date accessed: 22nd September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sanderay ".