Place:


Thornton  Fife

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Thornton like this:

Thornton, a village in the S of Markinch parish, Fife, near the left bank of the Ore, and 5 furlongs W by S of Thornton Junction on the North British railway, this being 15¼ miles ENE of Dunfermline, 20 N by E of Edinburgh, and 8¼ S of Ladybank Junction. It has a post office under Kirkcaldy, a public school, and an Established church, raised to quoad sacra parochial status in 1878. Pop. of village (1861) 527, (1871) 526, (1881) 552; of q. s. parish (1881) 909, of whom 70 were in Kinglassie and 839 in Markinch.—Ord. Sur., sh. 40, 1867.

Thornton through time

Thornton is now part of Fife district. Click here for graphs and data of how Fife has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thornton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thornton in Fife | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22284

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Thornton ".