Place:


St Fillans  Perthshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described St Fillans like this:

Fillans, St, a village in Comrie parish, Perthshire, on the N bank of the river Earn, just below its efflux from Loch Earn, 13 miles W by N of Crieff, under which it has a post and telegraph office. Both as to situation and structure one of the pleasantest villages in Scotland, it comprises a range of slated one-story houses, mantled with ivy and honeysuckle, an hotel, called the Drummond Arms, a Free church, and a public school. ...


On a green level plain here the St Fillans Highland Society, instituted in 1819, for twelve years held a famous annual meeting for athletic sports. Dundurn and the conical hill of Dunfillan have been separately noticed.—Ord. Sur., sh. 47, 1868.

St Fillans through time

St Fillans is now part of Perth and Kinross district. Click here for graphs and data of how Perth and Kinross has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Fillans itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Fillans, in Perth and Kinross and Perthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22273

Date accessed: 27th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Fillans ".