Place:


Nitshill  Renfrewshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Nitshill like this:

Nitshill, a village in the SE corner of Abbey-Paisley parish, Renfrewshire, near the right bank of Levern Water, with a station on the Glasgow, Barrhead, and Kilmarnock Joint railway, 2 miles NIE of Barrhead, and 4 ¾ WSW of Glasgow. It has a Free church, a Roman Catholic school, and chemical works (1807); and it is largely inhabited by workers in neighbouring coal-mines and quarries. Pop. (1841) 821, (1861) 1029, (1871) 986, (1881) 1001.—Ord. Sur., sh. 30, 1866.

Nitshill through time

Nitshill is now part of Glasgow district. Click here for graphs and data of how Glasgow has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Nitshill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nitshill, in Glasgow and Renfrewshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22271

Date accessed: 06th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Nitshill ".