Place:


Sanday  Argyll

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Sanday like this:

Sanday, a small island in the Hebridean parish of Small Isles, Argyllshire, lying on the S side of the eastern extremity of Canna, of which it may be viewed as constituting a portion, the two being united at low water by a beach of shell sand. It extends 1¾ mile east-by-southward, has a maximum breadth of 5 furlongs and an area of 5772/3 acres, and is distant 21/8 miles from Rum. ...


Its surface is low at the side towards Canna, but rises at its south-western extremity to 192 and at its eastern to 131 feet above sea-level, terminating in abrupt cliffs, which are skirted with detached high masses of rock. See Dun-na-Feulan. Pop. (1871) 58, (1 881) 62.

Sanday through time

Sanday is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sanday itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sanday, in Highland and Argyll | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22265

Date accessed: 18th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sanday ".