Place:


Port Elphinstone  Aberdeenshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Port Elphinstone like this:

Port-Elphinstone, a southern suburb of Inverurie, in Kintore parish, Aberdeenshire, on the right bank of the river Don. It took its name, and during 1807-54 derived its importance, from being situated at the NW end of the quondam Aberdeen Canal; it now contains an extensive goods station of the Great North of Scotland railway, and is still a convenient centre of trade; and it has a post office under Inverurie, extensive grain mills, paper-mills, two saw-mills, a brewery, a nursery, a public school, and a public library. ...


Pop. (1861) 421, (1871) 435, (1881) 473, of whom 356 were within Inverurie burgh.—Ord. Sur., sh. 76, 1874.

Port Elphinstone through time

Port Elphinstone is now part of Aberdeenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aberdeenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Port Elphinstone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Port Elphinstone in Aberdeenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22256

Date accessed: 15th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Port Elphinstone".