Place:


Port Bannatyne  Buteshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Port Bannatyne like this:

Kamesburgh or Port Bannatyne, a village in North Bute parish, Buteshire, on Kames Bay, 2½ miles NNW of Rothesay, with which it was connected by a tramway in 1882. Curving round the southern shore of the bay, and containing some good houses, let for summer quarters, it presents a clean and tidy aspect, and looks out upon the beauty of the E end of Kyles of Bute. ...


It maintains a herring fishery; communicates with steamers pllying between Rothesay and places within or beyond the Kyles; and has a post and telegraph office (Port Bannatyne) under Rothesay, a quay and a steamboat pier, an excellent hotel, a hydropathic establishment, and North Bute Free church (1843). Pop. (186l) 504, (1871) 575, (1881) 651.—Ord. Sur., sh. 29, 1873.

Port Bannatyne through time

Port Bannatyne is now part of Argyll and Bute district. Click here for graphs and data of how Argyll and Bute has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Port Bannatyne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Port Bannatyne, in Argyll and Bute and Buteshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22254

Date accessed: 19th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Port Bannatyne ".