Place:


Pitcaple  Aberdeenshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Pitcaple like this:

Pitcaple, a village and a mansion in Chapel-of-Garioch parish, Aberdeenshire. The village standing near the right bank of the Ury, has a station on the Great North of Scotland railway, ¾ mile WNW of Inveramsay Junction, 5 miles NW of Inverurie, and 21¼ NW of Aberdeen, under which it has a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments. ...


The mansion, Pitcaple Castle, stands in the vicinity of the village between the railway and the Ury, and is partly an ancient edifice, which was in ruins a hundred years ago, but was restored from designs by W. Burn about 1830, and again underwent extensive repairs in 1873. It is notable for the detention in it of the Marquis of Montrose on his way as a prisoner to Edinburgh, and for visits to it by James IV., Queen Mary, and Charles II. Its owner, Henry Lumsden, Esq. (b. 1825; suc. 1859), holds 1410 acres in the shire, valued at £1681 per annum.—Ord. Sur., sh. 76, 1874.

Pitcaple through time

Pitcaple is now part of Aberdeenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aberdeenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pitcaple itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pitcaple in Aberdeenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22249

Date accessed: 02nd April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pitcaple ".