Place:


Philipstoun  West Lothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Philipstoun like this:

Philipstoun, a village in the W of Abercorn parish, Linlithgowshire, 3 miles E by N of Linlithgow. To the NE of it is Philipstoun House, the residence of Lieut.-Col. James Hare of Calder Hall (b. 1836; suc. 1878), the Earl of Hopetoun's factor, who holds 2373 acres in Midlothian, valued at £4181 per annum.—Ord. Sur., sh. 32, 1857.

Philipstoun through time

Philipstoun is now part of West Lothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Philipstoun itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Philipstoun in West Lothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22247

Date accessed: 24th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Philipstoun ".