Place:


Norrieston  Perthshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Norrieston like this:

Norriston, a quoad sacra parish in Monteith district, S Perthshire, containing thornhill village, 4 miles WSW of Doune, and 9 ¼ WNW of Stirling. Constituted in 1877, it is in the presbytery of Dunblane and the synod of Perth and Stirling. Its church, which originated in an endowment by Gabriel Norrie about the year 1670, was rebuilt in 1812, and contains 870 sittings. There is also a Free church of Norriston. Pop. (1881) 1032, of whom 635 were in the detached section of Kincardine, 270 in Kilmadock, and 127 in Port of Monteith.—Ord. Sur., shs. 39, 1869

Norrieston through time

Norrieston is now part of Stirling district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stirling has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Norrieston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Norrieston, in Stirling and Perthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22239

Date accessed: 27th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Norrieston ".