Place:


St Columb Minor  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Columb Minor like this:

COLUMB-MINOR (St.), a parish in St. Columb district, Cornwall; on the coast, 5 miles W by S of St. Columb-Major, and 11 NNW of Grampound Road r. station. It has a fair on 9 June; and its post town is Newquay, under St. Columb, Cornwall. Acres, 5, 897; of which 335 are water. Real property, £6, 796. ...


Pop., 2, 067. Houses, 446. The property is much subdivided. The rocks include good shelly sandstone. A blow-hole, with a high jet of water, in certain states of the tide, is at the small harbour of Lower-St. Columb-Porth. A priory was founded at Rialton, near the church, about the end of the 15th century, by Thomas Vyvyan; and some interesting remains of it were lately extant, but are now much mutilated. Rialton gave title to the statesman, Sidney Godolphin. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £117.* Patron, Lord Churston. The church is large and good; and has an old rood-loft.

St Columb Minor through time

St Columb Minor is now part of Restormel district. Click here for graphs and data of how Restormel has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Columb Minor itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Columb Minor, in Restormel and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2222

Date accessed: 20th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Columb Minor ".