Place:


Longniddry  East Lothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Longniddry like this:

Longniddry, a village in Gladsmuir parish, Haddingtonshire, with a post and railway telegraph office, and with a station on the North British railway, the junction for Haddington, 4¾ miles WSW of that town and 13½ E by N of Edinburgh. Once a small town of some importance, with several streets, it covered a considerable extent of ground, which now is under the plough. ...


Today it exhibits a straggling, irregular, and decayed appearance; although, in connection with the railway, it still is a place of some transit traffic. Longniddry House, the seat of the Douglases, who figured prominently in the movements of the Reformation, stood at the SW side of the village, and is now represented by only a circular mound and subterranean vaults. An ancient chapel, in which John Knox occasionally preached, and which came to be called John Knox's Kirk, stood a little to the E, and is now a ruin.—Ord. Sur., sh. 33, 1863.

Longniddry through time

Longniddry is now part of East Lothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Longniddry itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Longniddry in East Lothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22210

Date accessed: 01st December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Longniddry ".