Place:


Knock  Ross and Cromarty

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Knock like this:

Knock, a quoad sacra parish in Stornoway parish, Lewis, Outer Hebrides, Ross-shire. Comprising the ancient chapelry of Uie or Eye, which included the Aird peninsula, it contains a village of the name of Knock, the site of the present church, 5 miles E by S of the post-town Stornoway. Knock is in the presbytery of Lewis and synod of Glenelg; the living is worth £140. A Free church is 2 miles further. Pop. (1871) 2577, (1881) 2990, of whom 2808 were Gaelic-speaking.—Ord. Sur., sh. 105, 1858.

Knock through time

Knock is now part of Eilean Siar district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eilean Siar has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Knock itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Knock, in Eilean Siar and Ross and Cromarty | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22197

Date accessed: 21st September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Knock ".