Place:


Kirkdominae  Ayrshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Kirkdominae like this:

Kirkdominæ, an ancient chapelry in Carrick district, Ayrshire, within the part of the ancient parish of Girvan which, in 1653, became the parish of Barr. Its church, crowning an eminence on the right bank of the Stinchar, 1¾ mile SW of Barr village, belonged to Crossraguel Abbey, and was partly taken down as building material for Barr church, but is still represented by some ruins. A well, approached by an archway, adjoins the ruins; and an annual fair, till a recent period, was held on the ground around.—Ord. Sur., sh. 8, 1863.

Kirkdominae through time

Kirkdominae is now part of South Ayrshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Ayrshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirkdominae itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirkdominae in South Ayrshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22193

Date accessed: 22nd September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirkdominae ".