Place:


Hunterston  Ayrshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Hunterston like this:

Hunterston, a handsome mansion, built early in the present century, in West Kilbride parish, N Ayrshire, within 3 furlongs of the Firth of Clyde and 2½ miles NNW of West Kilbride village. It is the seat of Lieut. Col. Gould Hunter-Weston, son-in-law of Robert Hunter, Esq. of Hunterston (1800-80), who owned 881 acres in the shire, valued at £1874 per annum, and whose ancestors held this estate as far back as the first half of the 13th century. ...


Their castle, a small square tower, stands not far distant from the present manor house, in which is preserved a large and splendid ancient silver brooch, richly adorned with gold filigree work, and bearing a Runic inscription. Supposed to have been lost by a Norseman at the time of the Battle of Largs (1263), it was found on the estate in 1826, and is finely reproduced in the Archœological Collections relating to the Counties of Ayr and Wigtown (Edinb. 1878).

Hunterston through time

Hunterston is now part of North Ayrshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Ayrshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hunterston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hunterston in North Ayrshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22160

Date accessed: 05th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hunterston ".