Place:


Hightae  Dumfries Shire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Hightae like this:

Hightae, a village and a lake in Lochmaben parish, Dumfriesshire. The village stands on a fertile alluvial tract near the river Annan, 2¾ miles SSE of Lochmaben town, and 4 SW of Lockerbie. The largest of the so-called Four Towns, it has a post office under Lockerbie, a Free church, and a public school. Hightae Loch (2¾ x 1¼ fnrl. ) lies 1¼ mile NNW of the village, and 3 furlongs S by W of the Castle Loch, and is well stocked with fish. Pop. of village (l871) 4o9, (1881) 324.—Ord. Sur., sh. 10, 1864.

Hightae through time

Hightae is now part of Dumfries and Galloway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dumfries and Galloway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hightae itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hightae, in Dumfries and Galloway and Dumfries Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22150

Date accessed: 22nd January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hightae ".