Place:


Forth  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Forth like this:

Forth, a mining village and a quoad sacra parish in Carnwath parish, E Lanarkshire. The village, standing 800 feet above sea-level, is 1 mile SSW of Wilsontown, 3 miles W of Auchengray station, and 7¾ NNE of Lanark, under which it has a post office. At it are an Established church, a Free church, a branch bank of the British Linen Co., an hotel, and a public school, which, with accommodation for 250 children, had (1881) an average attendance of 141, and a grant of £116, 12s. ...


The quoad sacra parish, in the presbytery of Lanark and synod of Glasgow and Ayr, was constituted in 1881. Pop. of village (1871) 784, (1881) 757; of parish (1881) 2072.—Ord. Sur., sh. 23, 1865.

Forth through time

Forth is now part of South Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Forth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Forth in South Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22109

Date accessed: 27th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Forth ".