Place:


Formartine  Aberdeenshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Formartine like this:

Formartine, a central district of Aberdeenshire. It is bounded on the N E by Buchan, on the E by the German Ocean, on the S by Aberdeen, on the SW by Garioch, on the NW by Strathbogie. It comprises all the seaboard from the Ythan to the Don; extends up the N side of the Ythan's basin and past Turriff to the Deveron; and is separated by a ridge of low hills, near Old Meldrum, from Garioch. ...


It contains 16 quoad civilia parishes, and has an area of about 280 square miles. It consists partly of a strong soil intersected by bogs, and partly of an excellent clay capable of a high degree of improvement; and it gives the title of Viscount to the Earl of Aberdeen.

Formartine through time

Formartine is now part of Aberdeenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aberdeenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Formartine itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Formartine in Aberdeenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22107

Date accessed: 28th July 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Formartine ".