Place:


Acharacle  Argyll

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Acharacle like this:

Acharacle or Aharcle, a parliamentary parish on the mutual border of Argyll and Inverness shires, on the coast, 11 miles NW of Strontian. It consists chiefly of the eastern portion of Ardnamurchan parish, but comprises also part of Morvern: it includes portions of Ardnamurchan proper, Sunart, and Moidart, and the islands of Shona, Shonaveg, and Portavata: it has its church and manse at the W end of Loch Shiel: and it has a post office under Fort William. ...


This parish is in the presbytery of Mull and synod of Argyll. The stipend is £120, paid by government, with a manse and a glebe worth respectively £15 and £16 a-year. Two public schools, Acharacle and Eilanshona, with respective accommodation for 90 and 35 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 41 and 16, and grants of £45, 12s. and £26, 18s. Pop. (1871) of parish, 1234, of whom 764 were in the Argyllshire portions: of registration district, 1414, (1881) 1425.

Acharacle through time

Acharacle is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Acharacle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Acharacle, in Highland and Argyll | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22095

Date accessed: 27th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Acharacle ".