Place:


Abertarff  Inverness Shire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Abertarff like this:

Abertarf, a parish, with the seat of a presbytery, in the centre of Inverness-shire. The parish, named from the mouth of the Tarf rivulet, which enters the head of Loch Ness at Fort Augustus, lies principally on the NW side of Loch Ness, and formerly comprised also the district of Glenmoriston, but is now united to the parish of Boleskine. ...


The presbytery of Abertarf, in the synod of Glenelg, comprehends the old parishes of Boleskine, Abertarf, Kilmalie, Kilmonivaig, Laggan, and Urquhart, and the quoad sacra parishes of Glengarry, Duncansburgh, and Ballachulish and Corran-of-Ardgour. Pop. (1871) 11,370, of whom 470 were communicants in 1878, when the above congregations raised £190 in Christian liberality. The Free Church also has a presbytery of Abertarf, whose churches of Ballachulish, Fort Augustus, Fort William, Glen Urquhart, Kilmalie, and Kilmonivaig, had 1723 members in 1880.

The location is that of Fort Augustus, which is at the mouth of the Tarff, and it is possible that "Abertarff" should be treated as another name for Fort Augustus.

Abertarff through time

Abertarff is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Abertarff itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Abertarff, in Highland and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22094

Date accessed: 05th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Abertarff ".