Place:


Abbey  Midlothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Abbey like this:

Abbey, a precinct in Canongate parish, Edinburghshire, adjacent to the foot of the lines of street eastward from the centre of the Old Town of Edinburgh. It contains Holyrood Palace and Abbey, and includes the Queen's Park. First enclosed by James V., it has, from ancient times, been a sanctuary for insolvent debtors, a bailie for it being appointed by commission from the Duke of Hamilton, and sitting in a small court-house on the first Saturday of every month. ...


Its population has dwindled since the alteration of the law respecting debtors, and it now has few inhabitants except in connection with Holyrood. The objects of interest, particularly the palace, the abbey, and their adjuncts, are described under Edinburgh.

The location is that of the Scottish parliament, based on the description given by Groome.

Abbey through time

Abbey is now part of Edinburgh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Edinburgh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Abbey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Abbey, in Edinburgh and Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22091

Date accessed: 25th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Abbey ".