Place:


Eilean Aigas  Inverness Shire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Eilean Aigas like this:

Aigas or Eilean-Aigas, a rocky islet in Kilmorack parish, Inverness-shire, immediately above the Drhuin, 5½ miles SW of Beauly. It is encompassed by divergent and convergent branches of the river Beauly: it measures about ¾ mile in length, and fully 1¼ mile in circumfereuce: it has an oval outline, and rises abruptly to a height of about 100 feet above the water's level: it consists chiefly of conglomerate, and is covered with natural wood of birch and oak: it communicates with the mainland by a bridge: it was the retreat of Lord Lovat, after the denunciation of his clan by government in 1697: and it is now occupied by a handsome villa, which was the summer retreat of the late Sir Robert Peel. ...


The roe used greatly to frequent it: the red-deer used occasionally to be found on it: and the wild turkey of America was introduced to it in 1842. A General Assembly's female school is designated of Aigas.

Eilean Aigas through time

Eilean Aigas is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eilean Aigas itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eilean Aigas, in Highland and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22087

Date accessed: 11th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Eilean Aigas ".