Place:


Drummore  Wigtownshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Drummore like this:

Drumore, a seaport village in Kirkmaiden parish, SW Wigtownshire, on a small bay of its own name, at the W side of Luce Bay, 5 miles N by W of the Mull of Galloway, and 17½ S by E of Stranraer, with which it communicates daily by coach. It has a post office, with money order and savings' bank departments, 4 inns, a public school, a small harbour with a quay and good anchorage, and ruins of a castle, still habitable in 1684; and it carries on some small commerce in the export of agricultural produce, and the import of coals and lime.

Drummore through time

Drummore is now part of Dumfries and Galloway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dumfries and Galloway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Drummore itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Drummore, in Dumfries and Galloway and Wigtownshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22078

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Drummore ".