Place:


Dewar  Midlothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Dewar like this:

Dewar, a hamlet in Heriot parish, Edinburghshire, 6½ miles S of Middleton. Dewar farm, adjacent to the hamlet, contains a spot called the Piper's Grave, traditionally associated with a foolish and fatal exploit of a Peebles piper; and Dewar Hill, not far there from, is crowned with a remarkable large stone, called Lot's Wife.

Dewar through time

Dewar is now part of Scottish Borders district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scottish Borders has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dewar itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dewar, in Scottish Borders and Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22075

Date accessed: 24th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dewar ".