Camperdown  Angus


In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Camperdown like this:

Camperdown, a mansion and a station in Liff and Benvie parish, Forfarshire. The mansion, 1¾ mile NW of Lochee, and 3½ miles of Dundee, was named after Admiral Lord Duncan's victory over the Dutch in 1797. Built by the admiral's son, who was raised to the earldom of Camperdown in 1831, it superseded the original seat of the family, Lundie House, in the neighbouring parish of Lundie; and is an elegant edifice of white sandstone in the Grecian style, with a massive octostyle Ionic portico and finely embellished grounds. ...

At the top of the principal staircase is a large and spirited painting of the battle of Camperdown. Rt. Adam Duncan Haldane, present and third Earl (b. 1841; suc. 1867), holds 6770 acres in the shire, valued at £8241 per annum. The railway station is on the Dundee and Newtyle section of the Caledonian, ¾ mile from Lochee, and 5¼ miles from Dundee. See Blackford and Lochee.

Camperdown through time

Camperdown is now part of Dundee district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dundee has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Camperdown itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Camperdown, in Dundee and Angus | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 20th January 2022

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Camperdown ".