Place:


Crossgates  Fife

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Crossgates like this:

Crossgates, a village on the mutual border of Dunfermline and Dalgety parishes, Fife, with a station on the North British railway, 3½ miles ENE of Dunfermline. Inhabited chiefly by colliers, it is surrounded at near distances by extensive coal mines; adjoins lines of mineral railway, communicating with St David's harbour on Inverkeithing Bay; and has a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, 2 hotels, a U.P. ...


church (1802; 531 sittings), and a public school, which, with accommodation for 160 children, had (1880) an average attendance of 124, and a grant of £91, 2s. Pop. (1841) 646, (1861) 1115, (1871) 1181, (1881) 1215.

Crossgates through time

Crossgates is now part of Fife district. Click here for graphs and data of how Fife has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Crossgates itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Crossgates in Fife | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22065

Date accessed: 04th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Crossgates ".