Place:


Clovenfords  Selkirkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Clovenfords like this:

Clovenfords, a small village in Caddonfoot quoad sacra parish, and in the Selkirkshire section of Stow parish, on the left bank of Caddon Water, 9 furlongs N of its influx to the Tweed, and 3¼ miles W of Galashiels. At it are a station on the Peebles and Galashiels section of the North British, a post office under Galashiels, an inn, and the Tweed vineries, a splendid establishment heated by 5 miles of hot-water pipes, and yielding yearly 15,000 lbs. ...


of grapes. John Leyden was schoolmaster here in 1792; Scott often came hither in the fishing season; and Wordsworth and his sister Dorothy here passed the night of 18 Sept. 1 803.

Clovenfords through time

Clovenfords is now part of Scottish Borders district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scottish Borders has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clovenfords itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clovenfords, in Scottish Borders and Selkirkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22045

Date accessed: 20th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clovenfords ".