Place:


Clarkston  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Clarkston like this:

Clarkston, a village in New Monkland parish, and a quoad sacra parish partly also in Shotts parish, Lanarkshire. The village, standing near the right bank of North Calder Water, has a station on the main Bathgate line of the North British, 1½ mile E of Airdrie, of which it ranks as a suburb, and under which it has a post office. ...


The parish, constituted in 1869, is in the presbytery of Hamilton and synod of Glasgow and Ayr; its minister's stipend is £120. The church was built about 1830 as a chapel of ease. Pop. of village (1881) 540; of quoad sacra parish (1871) 4902, (1881) 6218.

Clarkston through time

Clarkston is now part of North Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clarkston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clarkston in North Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22040

Date accessed: 13th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clarkston ".