Place:


Carronshore  Stirlingshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Carronshore like this:

Carronshore, a village in Larbert and Bothkennar parishes, Stirlingshire, on the left bank of the river Carron, 1 mile ENE of Carron Iron-works, and 2 miles WNW of Grangemouth. Connected with Carron Ironworks by a double lined railway, it was formerly the port of the Carron Company; but has, in main degree, been superseded by Grangemonth. ...


Yet it is still used for the landing of ironstone and lime, and for drydock repairs; and is accessible, in ordinary tides, by vessels of 150 tons burden. It has a post office under Falkirk, a mission station of the Church of Scotland, and a public school, which, with accommodation for 252 children, had (1880) an average attendance of 207, and a grant of £195,13s. 6d. Pop. (1841) 838, (1861) 1035, (1871) 966, (1881) 481.

Carronshore through time

Carronshore is now part of Falkirk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Falkirk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Carronshore itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carronshore, in Falkirk and Stirlingshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22031

Date accessed: 30th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Carronshore ".