Broughton  Midlothian


In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Broughton like this:

Broughton, an ancient metropolitan suburb, a burgh of barony, now absorbed into the New Town of Edinburgh. It stood on the old road from ancient Edinburgh to North Leith, and it is commemorated in the present names of Barony Street, Broughton Street, Broughton Place, and Broughton Park. Its tolbooth and courthouse, built in 1582, were demolished so late as 1829; some fragmentary remains of its streets were removed in 1870; and a small fragment of it still exists at the W end of Barony Street.

The location, slightly arbitrary, is at the junction of Broughton Street, Broughton Place and Barony Street, at the north-eastern edge of Edinburgh New Town.

Broughton through time

Broughton is now part of Edinburgh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Edinburgh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Broughton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Broughton, in Edinburgh and Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 22nd June 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Broughton".