Place:


Burnmouth  Berwickshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Burnmouth like this:

Burnmouth, a fishing village in the SE corner of Ayton parish, Berwickshire, picturesquely lying at the foot of a steep ravine, with heights to S, W, and N that rise to 170,309, and 310 feet above sea-level. It is ¾ mile SE of Burnmouth station on the North British, this being 5½ miles NNW of Berwick-upon-Tweed; and, included in Eyemouth fishing district, it carries on a thriving fishery, chiefly of herrings and haddocks. ...


A harbour here, originally constructed at a cost of £1600, has been greatly improved by the erection of a W breakwater, 325 feet long, and the extension of the pier to a total length of 800 feet, with a lighthouse at th-e end of it, these improvements having been finished in 1879 at a cost of £6296. Pop. (1871) 314, (1881) 432, minus 24 fishermen, who were lost in the gale of 14 Oct. 1881.

Burnmouth through time

Burnmouth is now part of Scottish Borders district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scottish Borders has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burnmouth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burnmouth, in Scottish Borders and Berwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22012

Date accessed: 20th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burnmouth ".