Place:


Walkerburn  Peebles Shire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Walkerburn like this:

Walkerburn, a modern manufacturing village in Innerleithen parish, Peeblesshire, on the right bank of the Tweed, ¼ mile NNW of Walkerburn station (across the river) on the North British railway, this being 1¾ mile E by N of Innerleithen station and 10½ miles W of Galashiels. ...


The first of its two large woollen factories was founded in 1855; and there are a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, a public school, a public library, and an Established church. The last, a plain Early English structure, containing 500 sittings, was built in 1876 at a cost of £1500, and in 1883 was raised to quoad sacra parochial status. Pop. of village (1861) 316, (1871) 802, (1881) 1026.—Ord. Sur., sh. 24, 1864.

Walkerburn through time

Walkerburn is now part of Scottish Borders district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scottish Borders has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Walkerburn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Walkerburn, in Scottish Borders and Peebles Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21977

Date accessed: 20th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Walkerburn ".