Place:


Bertha  Perthshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Bertha like this:

Bertha, a quondam ancient town in Redgorton parish, Perthshire, on the left bank of the river Almond, at its influx to the Tay, 2½ miles N by W of Perth. It appears, on tolerable evidence, to have sprung from the Roman station of Orrea; it is regarded by some writers, but not on good authority, to have been the original Perth, or, as they call it, Old Perth; and it was desolated by a flood in the time of William the Lyon, and has long been utterly extinct. ...


The flood which destroyed it imperilled the king's life, and drowned his infant son and many of the inhabitants. Numerous Roman relics have been found on its site; traces of a bridge at it across the Tay, on the line of the Roman road from Ardoch to Scone, are still discernible in very low states of the river; and a farm on the opposite bank still bears the name of Rome.

Bertha through time

Bertha is now part of Perth and Kinross district. Click here for graphs and data of how Perth and Kinross has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bertha itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bertha, in Perth and Kinross and Perthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21971

Date accessed: 22nd May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bertha ".