Place:


Berneray  Inverness Shire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Berneray like this:

Bernera, an island of Barra parish, Outer Hebrides, Inverness-shire. It is the southernmost island of the parish, and lies 14 miles SSW of the southernmost point of Barra proper. It measures about 1 mile in length and about ¾ in breadth. It consists of gneiss rock; and rises in Barra Head, on the SE side, to a height of 530 feet. ...


Its cliffs on that side have a diversified structure and a romantic appearance; are now inclining, now vertical, now projecting; here smooth and there fissured; in one place massive and continuous, in another pierced with a cavern and cut into a cove; and in the summer months they are inhabited by prodigious numbers of kittiwakes, guillemots, auks, and puffins. The natives of the island derive much of their subsistence from the eggs and the young of these birds; but in obtaining it, they do deeds of great daring on the cliffs. Pop. (1861) 34, (1871) 38.

Berneray through time

Berneray is now part of Eilean Siar district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eilean Siar has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Berneray itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Berneray, in Eilean Siar and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21970

Date accessed: 22nd September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Berneray ".