Place:


Bass Rock  East Lothian

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Bass Rock like this:

Bass Rock, a precipitous and nearly circular islet, 2 miles off Haddingtonshire coast, at entrance to Firth of Forth. It is 350 ft. high, and shelves down to the water's edge on the SW., where alone it is accessible. It is the resort of vast numbers of aquatic birds, and was long used as a State prison for the Covenanters.

Bass Rock through time

Bass Rock is now part of East Lothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bass Rock itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bass Rock in East Lothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21958

Date accessed: 01st August 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bass Rock ".