Place:


Newburgh  Aberdeenshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Newburgh like this:

Newburgh, a seaport village in Foveran parish, Aberdeenshire, on the right side of the river Ythan, 7 furlongs from the sea, 5 miles SE of Ellon station, and 13¼ NNE of Aberdeen, under which it has a post and telegraph office, and with which it communicates daily by 'bus. Pleasantly situated, and greatly improved of recent years, it contains several substantial and commodious houses; possesses important facilities both for manufacture and for fishing; ranks as a subport of Aberdeen; and carries on commerce chiefly in exporting grain, and in importing coal, timber, lime, and bones. ...


Pop. (1841) 393, (1861) 541, (1871) 570, (1881) 645.—Ord. Sur., sh. 77, 1873.

Newburgh through time

Newburgh is now part of Aberdeenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aberdeenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newburgh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newburgh in Aberdeenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21889

Date accessed: 18th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newburgh ".