Place:


Longnewton  Roxburghshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Longnewton like this:

Longnewton, a quondam village and an ancient parish of NW Roxburghshire. The village lay near the left bank of Ale Water, 3 miles S of St Boswells, and was the birthplace of the famous shoemaker-fisherman, John Younger (1785-1860) of St Boswells. The parish, lying around the village, forms the north-western section of the present parish of Ancrum. Its church is represented only by the burying-ground.—Ord. Sur., sh. 25, 1865.

Longnewton through time

Longnewton is now part of Scottish Borders district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scottish Borders has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Longnewton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Longnewton, in Scottish Borders and Roxburghshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21887

Date accessed: 27th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Longnewton ".