Place:


Laurieston  Stirlingshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Laurieston like this:

Laurieston, a village in Falkirk parish, Stirlingshire, 1½ mile E by S of Falkirk town, under which it has a post and railway telegraph office. Adjoining the park of Callander House, and commanding from its elevated site a brilliant view of the Carse of Falkirk and the Ochil Hills, it was feued out in 1756 by Francis Lord Napier. ...


At first it was called Langtown, next Merchiston or New Merchiston, and afterwards Lawrencetown, now abbreviated into Laurieston. It comprises a central square and regularly intersecting streets, southward and westward; carries on weaving, nail-making, etc.; and has a public school and a Free-until 1876 Reformed Presbyterian-church, built in 1788, and containing 250 sittings. Pop. (1831) 1306, (1861) 1265, (1871) 1310, (1881) 1452.—Ord. Sur., sh. 31, 1867.

Laurieston through time

Laurieston is now part of Falkirk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Falkirk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Laurieston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Laurieston, in Falkirk and Stirlingshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21882

Date accessed: 09th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Laurieston ".