Place:


Strathbogie  Aberdeenshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Strathbogie like this:

Strathbogie, the vale of the river Bogie on the NW border of Aberdeenshire, and a presbytery partly also in Banffshire. The presbytery, in the synod of Moray, comprehends the quoad civilia parishes of Bellie, Botriphnie, Cairney, Gartly, Glass, Grange, Huntly, Keith, Marnoch, Mortlach, Rhynie, and Rothiemay, and the quoad sacra parish of Newmill. ...


It figured prominently in the events precurrent to the formation of the Free Church in 1843. The Free Church also has a presbytery of Strathbogie, with churches at Bellie, Botriphnie, Cairney, Gartly, Glass, Grange, Huntly, Keith, New Marnoch, and Rothiemay. See Dr John Stuart's Extracts from the Presbytery Book of Strath bogie (Spalding Club, 1843).

Strathbogie through time

Strathbogie is now part of Aberdeenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aberdeenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Strathbogie itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Strathbogie in Aberdeenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21785

Date accessed: 18th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Strathbogie ".