Place:


Carloway  Ross and Cromarty

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Carloway like this:

Carloway, a district in the N of Lewis, Outer Hebrides, Ross-shire, extending from the upper part of Lochs parish north-westward to the Atlantic, and from Loch Roag north-eastward to the boundary with Barvas. Its coast is penetrated, 3 miles east-north-eastward from the mouth of Loch Roag, by a sea-inlet called Loch Carloway; and its interior is more mountainous than almost any other part of Lewis, and has numerous intersections of soft and moorish tracts and fresh-water lakes. ...


The arable lands form a small proportion of the entire area, lie chiefly along the shore, and are low and sandy. A circular Scandinavian fort here is larger and more entire than almost any other antiquity of its class in Scotland, and has a strong stone, turf-covered rampart 30 feet high. A village called Carloway stands at the head of Loch Carloway, and has a Free church. The father of blind Rory, the harper, mentioned in one of Sir Walter Scott's novels, resided in the district, and was the original translator of the Psalms into Gaelic. Pop. of registration district (1861) 2204, (1871) 2702, (1881) 2974.

Carloway through time

Carloway is now part of Eilean Siar district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eilean Siar has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Carloway itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carloway, in Eilean Siar and Ross and Cromarty | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21761

Date accessed: 26th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Carloway ".