Place:


Buchlyvie  Stirlingshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Buchlyvie like this:

Bucklyvie or Buchlyvie, a village on the W border of Kippen parish, Stirlingshire, on a small burn, ¾ mile SE of the Forth and Clyde railway, and 4 NNE of Balfron. A burgh of barony, it has a post office under Stirling, a railway station, an Established church (1836; quoad sacra since 1875), a Free church, a U.P. church (1751), public waterworks (1870), and fairs on 26 June and 18 Nov. A public school, with accommodation for 120 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 88, and a grant of £74,1s. 7d. Pop. (1861) 339, (1871) 327, (1881) 319.

Buchlyvie through time

Buchlyvie is now part of Stirling district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stirling has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Buchlyvie itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Buchlyvie, in Stirling and Stirlingshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21727

Date accessed: 02nd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Buchlyvie ".