Place:


Witton  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Witton like this:

WITTON-CUM-TWAMBROOKS, a township and a chapelry in Great Budworth parish, Cheshire. The township lies on the river Dane, contiguous on the E to Northwich; includes a large suburb of that town; and has a public institution and reading room, a fine early English church, two Methodist chapels, an endowed grammar-school with £270 a year, national schools, charities £25, two breweries, an iron and brass foundry, flat and boat-building establishments, and numerous salt-works. ...


Acres, 588. Real property, £15,296; of which £80 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 3,493; in 1861, 3,677. Houses, 817. The manor belonged to the Vernons, and passed, in 1757, to the Leycesters.—The chapelry includes Northwich township, which has a head post-office and a r. station. Acres of the chapelry, 788. Pop., 4,867. Houses, 1,046. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £168.* Patron, the Rev. R. Greenall.

Witton through time

Witton is now part of Vale Royal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale Royal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Witton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Witton, in Vale Royal and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21690

Date accessed: 09th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Witton ".