Place:


Hurlford  Ayrshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Hurlford like this:

Hulford, a town in Riccarton parish, Ayrshire, on the left bank of the river Irvine, with a station on the Glasgow and south-western railway, at the junction of the Newmilns branch, 2 miles ESE of Kilmarnock, under which it has a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments. ...


Connected by a bridge with the suburb of Crookedholm in Kilmarnock parish, it is the seat of extensive ironworks of the Eglinton Iron Co. (1846), as also of a worsted spinning-mill and of large fire-clay works, whilst in the neighbourhood are many collieries. A quoad sacra parish church, erected in 1875 at a cost of £8000, is an Early English edifice, with 800 sittings, a fine organ, and a tower containing the largest bell in the county. There are also a Free church, a Roman Catholic chapel-school (1883), an Institute, with public hall and reading-room, erected by private liberality, and two public schools-Hurlford and Crookedholm. The quoad sacra parish, constituted in 1874 with an endowment of £3000, is in the presbytery of Irvine and synod of Glasgow and Ayr. Pop. of town (1861) 2598, (1871) 3488, (1881) 4385, of whom 657 were in Crookedholm; of q. s. parish (1881) 4699, of whom 193 were in Galston parish.—Ord. Sur., sh. 22, 1865.

Hurlford through time

Hurlford is now part of East Ayrshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Ayrshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hurlford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hurlford in East Ayrshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21669

Date accessed: 24th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hurlford ".