Place:


Ainsty  Yorkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ainsty like this:

AINSTY, a wapentake, bounded by the rivers Ure, Ouse, and Wharfe, in Yorkshire. It was originally a forest; was annexed, by Henry VI., to the city of York, as the county of the city; was made in 1837 a wapen take of the west riding; but, for parliamentary purposes, is in the north riding. It contains the parish of Acomb, fifteen other parishes, and parts of six others. Acres, 50,151. Pop. in 1851, 9,599; in 1861, 9,896. Houses, 2. 032.

Ainsty through time

Ainsty is now part of Selby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Selby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ainsty itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ainsty, in Selby and Yorkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21659

Date accessed: 17th June 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ainsty ".