Place:


West Wemyss  Fife

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described West Wemyss like this:

Wemyss, West, a small town in Wemyss parish in the S of Fife, is situated on the coast, 2 miles NE of Dysart. The nearest station, though bearing the name of the village, is very inconveniently situated about a mile away, on the branch line referred to under East Wemyss. Consisting mainly of one street, West Wemyss has a less prosperous and comfortable air than East Wemyss, although its population is considerably greater. ...


About the centre of the village is the townhall, with a curious foreign-looking tower. The only church is the quoad sacra parish church. There is a post and telegraph office under Kirkcaldy. West Wemyss formerly carried on a brisk manufacture of salt; and so maintained a good harbour. Although the manufacture has now ceased, the harbour is still kept up on account of the considerable coal traffic which passes through it. In 1872-73 a wet dock was constructed at a cost of about £10,000, covering about an acre, with a depth of water of 18½ feet, and a berthage of 450 feet. As a burgh of barony West Wemyss is governed by 2 bailies, a treasurer, and 4 councillors. Pop.-which is almost entirely mining-(1831) 858, (1861) 1128, (1871) 1231, (1881) 1206.

West Wemyss through time

West Wemyss is now part of Fife district. Click here for graphs and data of how Fife has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Wemyss itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Wemyss in Fife | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21655

Date accessed: 11th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Wemyss ".