Place:


Maryhill  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Maryhill like this:

Maryhill, a police burgh in Barony parish, NW Lanarkshire, on the left bank of the river Kelvin, 3½ miles NNW of the centre of Glasgow, with which it is connected by tramway and by the Glasgow and Helensburgh section of the North British railway. It occupies a brae descending to the picturesque and romantic dell of the Kelvin, which dell is spanned by the four-arch viaduct, 83 feet high and 400 long, of the Forth and Clyde Canal- Maryhill possesses in itself and in its environs such strong attractions of scenery as draw many visitors from Glasgow, and exhibits for the most part a well-built, pleasant appearance. ...


It has a post office under Glasgow, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, branches of the Royal and Union Banks, an hotel, 3 Established churches, 2 Free churches, a U.P. church, a Roman Catholic church, 4 public and 2 Roman Catholic schools, iron, bleach, glass, and print works, etc. Under Glasgow are noticed the Maryhill Barracks and the Dawsholm gasworks. The burgh is governed by a senior and 2 junior magistrates and 9 other police commissioners. Valuation (1875) £30, 939, (1884) £65, 637. Pop. of quoad sacra parish (1881) 39, 980; of town (1841) 2552, (1861) 3717, (1871) 5842, (1881) l2, 884, of whom 6525 were males. Houses in town (1881) 2240 inhabited, 691 vacant, 5 building.—Ord. Sur., sh. 30, 1866.

Maryhill through time

Maryhill is now part of Glasgow district. Click here for graphs and data of how Glasgow has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Maryhill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Maryhill, in Glasgow and Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21648

Date accessed: 17th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Maryhill ".