Place:


Turnham Green  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Turnham Green like this:

TURNHAM-GREEN, a chapelry, with a village, in Chiswick parish, Middlesex; 1 mile N by E of Chiswick r. station. It was constituted in 1845; and it has a post-office‡ under London W. Pop., 2,623. Houses, 517. There are numerous good residences; and ruins exist of Heathfield House, the seat of Lord Lovat, who was executed in 1746. ...


Lord Essex encamped here in 1642; Waller, in 1643; and a skirmish was fought with Prince Rupert. Roman coins were found in 1731. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of London. Value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of L. The church was built in 1843, at a cost of £6,000. The Ladies' Institution for female idiots is here.

Turnham Green through time

Turnham Green is now part of Hounslow district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hounslow has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Turnham Green itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Turnham Green, in Hounslow and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21640

Date accessed: 09th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Turnham Green ".