Place:


South Baddesley  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Baddesley like this:

BADDESLEY (South), a tything-chapelry in Boldre parish, Hants; 2 miles ENE of Lymington, and 6 SSE of Brockenhurst r. station. Post Town, Lymington. Real property, £2,835. Pop., 561. Houses, 116. A famous tree, a young elm, known as "the groaning tree" existed here toward the middle of last century, emitting a singular noise from its roots similar to the groans off a person in extreme agony, and drawing many persons from a distance to visit it. ...


The sound continued for about a year and a half, not regularly but fitfully, and could not be explained by any naturalist; and at length stopped by the tree first being bored, then rooted up, but could not even then be explained. A preceptory of Knights Templars, afterwards of Knights Hospitallers, stood at South Baddesley; and the chapel was taken down so late as 1818. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £100. Patron, P. W. Freeman, Esq.

South Baddesley through time

South Baddesley is now part of New Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how New Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Baddesley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Baddesley, in New Forest and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21629

Date accessed: 06th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Baddesley ".