Place:


Somers Town  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Somers Town like this:

SOMERS-TOWN, a chapelry and a sub-district in St. Pancras parish and district, Middlesex. The chapelry is a compact portion of the metropolis; lies between New Road, the Regent's canal, and the Great Western railway, 2 miles NW of St. Paul's; occupies ground which was mainly unedificed so late as 1780; and has a post-office‡ under London NW, and an S.-Police station. ...


Pop., about 14,500. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of London. Value, £300. Patron, the Vicar of St. Pancras. The church was built after designs by Inwood, at a cost of £14,291.—The sub-district extends beyond the chapelry, and comprises 184 acres. Pop. in 1851, 35,641; in 1861, 39,099. Houses, 3,907.

Somers Town through time

Somers Town is now part of Camden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Camden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Somers Town itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Somers Town, in Camden and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21628

Date accessed: 05th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Somers Town ".