St Katherine  Middlesex


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Katherine like this:

CATHERINE (St.), one of the tower hamlets in London; on the Thames, immediately below the Tower. Most of it was destroyed in 1828, to give place to the St. Catherine docks. A church and an hospital were founded at it, in 1148, by Queen Maud; refounded by Queen Eleanor; and enlarged by Queen Philippa. ...

The church was rebuilt by Henry VI.; claimed at the Reformation, as Queen's property, by Anne Boleyn; and used by the inhabitants till 1825. A new church and hospital, in lieu of the demolished ones, were erected by the Dock company in the Regent's park. The docks occupy a space of 24 acres; and were formed at a cost of £195,640 per acre. Upwards of 1,200 houses were demolished, to clear the site. Pop. of the hamlet in 1801, 2,652; in 1831, 72.

Location is that of St Katherine's Dock, named on modern Ordnance Survey maps.

St Katherine through time

St Katherine is now part of Tower Hamlets district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tower Hamlets has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Katherine itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Katherine, in Tower Hamlets and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 16th April 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "St Katherine".